The Digital Construction Apprenticeship
There is a current and future critical need for skilled Building Information Modelling (BIM) professionals. BIM involves the creation and use of 3D models to complete construction projects allowing anyone to view the full plans of a project - preventing mistakes and minimising costs.
In order to attract and retain the best talent in the industry - as well as develop current identified talent - a structured, market leading development programme was required following the construction industry moving into a technological era. To obtain this talent, from the beginning of 2018 we are rolling out a brand new Digital Construction apprenticeship! This is a fantastic opportunity for us to work with Kier Construction and T3 Training to allow enthusiastic young people to begin their careers in construction allowing them to move up the career ladder.
Our current apprentices are located around the UK and will be involved in a range of projects with Kier, as well as receiving classroom training from T3 Training and ourselves to further their knowledge. During the application process candidates were interviewed over the telephone, and then shortlisted to attend a recruitment day with Kier where those who were successful were offered the opportunity. Currently, three weeks into their apprenticeship the successful candidates have been inducted onto the course and have received two weeks of classroom training at our offices before going on to begin their on-the-job training with Kier.
During the two year qualification learners will cover the following units:
- Civil Engineering Construction
- Construction Design Procedures
- Geographical Information Systems in Construction
- Surveying in Construction and Civil Engineering
- Project Management in Construction and the Built Environment
- Building Technology in Construction
- Construction Technology and Design in Construction and Civil Engineering
- Science and Materials in Construction and the Built Environment
- Mathematics in Construction and the Built Environment
- Sustainable Construction
- Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction and the Built Environment
Apprentices will receive 2-3 weeks intense “work ready” BIM training, NVQ on site Assessment over 8 weeks, and BTEC (Block on site delivery) for 2 weeks bimonthly.
The following qualifications will be gained:
- BTEC Level 3 Construction and the Built Environment
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Built Environment Design
-English & Maths will be required to be demonstrated at Level 2
We are looking forward to seeing the progression and great success stories of those who complete this apprenticeship, and hope that this qualification will be considered by more construction companies in the future!